Wind Restrictions on the CBBT
Occasionally, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel experiences strong winds that will result in the restriction of normal traffic flow across the facility. Listed below are the levels of restrictions and the types of vehicles they will affect. Please note that these restrictions may change at any time.
Speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
The following types of vehicles will not be allowed to cross the facility:
- Large pick-up campers (RVs);
- Camper trailers;
- House trailers;
- Anything being towed;
- Vehicles with exterior cargo that may become unsecured due to high winds;
- Six-wheel trucks; such as moving vans, rental trucks, box trucks;
- Empty tractor-trailers (less than 15,000 lbs. cargo)
The following types of vehicles WILL be allowed to cross the facility:
- Tractors without trailers
- Empty flatbed trailers
- Empty car carriers
- Empty “low boys”
- Empty logging trailers
- Tractor-trailers (and tankers) must gross 15,000 pounds payload in addition to the weight of the rig
Speed limit is reduced to 45 mph.
The ONLY types of vehicles allowed to cross are:
- Cars without exterior cargo;
- Pick-up trucks (to include 2-axle, 6 wheels) without cargo;
- Vans not to include high-profile/conversion vans;
Closed to all traffic due to weather conditions or safety concerns.