Designed to assist Eastern Shore residents in need of medical services in the Hampton Roads area, the Medical Toll Assistance Program is managed by Eastern Shore Rural Health (ESRH), as a result of a successful partnership with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel since 2003.
Through this program, toll assistance is provided to members of our community for medical services that cannot be obtained on the Eastern Shore. Medical needs include, but are not limited to, complications of pregnancy, cancer, heart illnesses and surgeries.
The guidelines for this program are simple. Individuals interested in obtaining medical toll assistance must apply to Eastern Shore Rural Health Services, Inc.
- Eligibility is based on income.
- Special cases are approved on a “hardship” basis by the Program Coordinator.
- Applications may be obtained at an ESRH Center (see list below) or on-line at esrh.org. At the time of application, the individual requesting assistance must provide a copy of their most recent pay stub or tax return.
- A doctor’s note or appointment card for the requested date(s) must accompany the application.
- Assistance is only provided to the individual for whom the appointment is scheduled.
- The individual requesting assistance does not need to be a patient of ESRH in order to qualify.
- Applications may be made Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., at any of the ESRH Centers listed below.
- Application should be made at least one day prior to the scheduled appointment date.
- Passes are not given out for appointments scheduled a week in advance.
- Medicaid patients must contact the Health Department to obtain tickets.
- Northampton County Health Department (757) 442.6228
- Accomack County Health Department (757) 787.5880
For general questions regarding the program or eligibility, please contact the Eastern Shore Rural Health Center closest to you:
Carla Rouelle (757) 414.0400 ext. 1120
Candy George & Maureen Sterling (757) 331.1086 ext. 1317
Kelly Flores (757) 787.7374 ext. 1707
Erica Vaughn (757) 824.5676 ext. 1699