The Educational Toll Fund is a program designed to assist students commuting across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT) for the purpose of furthering their post-secondary education. Research indicates that over 3,000 round trips per year are being made by students to complete course requirements to achieve a higher level of education.
Implemented in July of 2010, this program is a partnership between the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and the Eastern Shore Community College and the program is administered by Eastern Shore Community College.
The Educational Toll Fund operates on a retroactive basis by reimbursing students a portion of each round trip across the CBBT in order to attend classes or fulfill other course requirements mandated by their specific degree programs. Students utilizing E-ZPass will be reimbursed $15 per round trip crossing and students paying with cash or scrip in each direction will be reimbursed $23 per round trip. Reimbursements are made in the form of cash or scrip. Receipts are required. Students must register for the Educational Toll Fund before they can be reimbursed.
In order to qualify for reimbursement, students must:
- Fill out a registration form which can be obtained on the ESCC website under QuickLinks. Trips taken before being registered will NOT be reimbursed.
- Be enrolled in a qualified degree or certificate program at an accredited institution located in the Hampton Roads area;
- Provide proof of enrollment (i.e. current class schedule);
- Provide transcript or grade report showing the course(es) were completed as well as receipts or an E-ZPass statement showing the round trips across the CBBT.
- Reimbursement will be $15 (for E-ZPass customers) or $23 (for cash-paying customers) of each round trip. Reimbursement will be made in the form of cash (for E-ZPass customers) or scrip/cash combo (for cash-paying customers).
- Reimbursement will occur at the end of a semester or quarter, depending on which calendar system the institution uses, and provided the student has met all of the above criteria in advance of course completion.
For general questions regarding the educational toll program or to determine eligibility for toll assistance, please contact:
Eastern Shore Community College
(757) 789.1741 or email@example.com