The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel District will be accepting applications for Hourly Maintenance Worker until the position is filled. This position is an entry-level position that performs unskilled manual work related to the maintenance and repairs of District grounds and facilities; operates non-specialized equipment in connection with manual task and related work as required. Must be able to follow instructions and effectively communicate to adequately perform heavy physical labor under immediate supervision. Must possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
This is an hourly position with an hourly rate of $14.45.
General Definition and Conditions of Work:
Performs responsible unskilled manual work in a variety of roadway, buildings and grounds maintenance and repair projects; occasionally operates nonspecialized equipment in connection with manual tasks; does related work as required. Performs responsible semi-skilled work in monitoring traffic. Work is performed under immediate supervision.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for depth perception, peripheral vision, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, and atmospheric conditions. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
- Performing a variety of tasks in the maintenance and repair of District facilities, buildings, grounds, roadways, utilities and related facilities.
- Repairs roadway, bridges and tunnels; patches holes; cleans tunnels and roadways;
- Repairs and paints buildings and facilities;
- Mows grass, sprays weeds, trims shrubs and bushes;
- Seeds, fertilizes and aerates fields, plants grass, trees and flowers, picks up paper and debris on District property and roadways; performs other roadway and utility maintenance duties; operates mowers, trimmers, tractors and similar equipment; performs custodial, building and grounds maintenance work; cleans and fuels vehicle and equipment;
- Direct movement of traffic through construction projects and accident and disabled vehicle scenes. Distributes traffic control signs and markers along sites in designated patterns.
- This position requires employees to work outside, and potentially in excess of, normally scheduled hours in response to District needs, including but not limited to, accidents, incidents and/or weather events.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General knowledge of the safe use, operation and preventive maintenance of the equipment to which assigned; skill in the use of equipment to which assigned; ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions; ability to assist the public in courteous manner, ability to maintain effective working relationships with associates, ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions; ability to lift heavy articles; good physical condition.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and some experience in the operation of automotive and mechanical equipment desirable.
Must possess a Virginia Driver’s License. Ability to withstand prolonged standing and exposure to inclement weather. Ability to work night shifts as needed.
Once the above form is filled out, be sure to submit it along with your résumé using the buttons below.