The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel District is accepting applications for Certified Police Officer until position is filled.
Applicant must be a Certified Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia in accordance with regulations of the Department of Criminal Justice System.
All applicants must be 21 years of age or older, and have a good driving record, and possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
The annual salary range for this position is $47,260.00 to $75,775.00 and includes a complete benefits package.
General Definition and Conditions of Work:
Performs responsible protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Police Lieutenant. Work is frequently performed under emergency situations and involves considerable personal hazard and danger.
This is light work requiring the exertion of 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and some medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, crouching, crawling, standing, walking, running, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling; vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications; visual acuity is required for night vision, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, hazards, and atmospheric conditions. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
- Patrolling District properties and facilities, responding to service requests; enforcing laws and ordinances; making arrests; testifying in court; assisting motorists; preparing records and files.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order; performs security checks;
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
- Issues citations for traffic violations;
- Serves warrants and makes arrests, testifies in court;
- Provides police escorts, directs traffic; removes dead animals and debris from the roadway;
- Investigates traffic accidents;
- Assists with plaza operations; measures large vehicles; collects tolls; assists motorists;
- May serve as South Plaza supervisor, count and verify vaults, prepare receipt deposits;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing on bridge/tunnel and related properties;
- Conducts criminal investigations, presents evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, performs property and evidence duties;
- Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments, participates in a variety of in-service training programs, and may assist with scheduling and training;
- Performs related tasks as required;
- This position requires employees to work outside, and potentially in excess of, normally scheduled hours in response to District needs, including but not limited to, accidents, incidents and/or weather events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; general knowledge of the geography of District facilities; general knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Commonwealth and District; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear comprehensive reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surround hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of motor vehicles.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and successful completion of all minimum training requirements.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Certified Employees: Must be certified as a police officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia in accordance with regulations of the Dept. of Criminal Justice System.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel District is an official V3 Certified Company and is committed to recruiting, hiring, training and retaining Virginia's Veterans and serving members of the National Guard and Reserve.
Once the above form is filled out, be sure to submit it along with your résumé using the buttons below.