As we approach 60 years of age, maintenance projects are increasing on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to preserve the safe condition of the facility.
Nightly tunnel roadwork will occur Monday thru Friday, 9 pm – 6:45 am and travelers can expect 30 minute delays.
Additional changes in traffic patterns are occurring across the CBBT. All motorists, including E-ZPass customers, are advised to BE PREPARED TO STOP AT THE TOLL BOOTH! This brief stop will allow CBBT Toll Collectors the opportunity to communicate the traffic pattern changes ahead.
CHANGE IN TRAFFIC PATTERN – February thru March 2020: Motorists are to be advised of a change in traffic pattern on the northern portion of the CBBT from Portal Island #4 to the North Toll Plaza on Virginia’s Eastern Shore, as milling and repaving is performed on a portion of the northbound span. While the facility remains open to all traffic, be advised that a portion of this 4-lane facility will reduce to two lanes, creating a bi-directional flow of traffic for approximately 10 miles. ABSOLUTELY NO PASSING WILL BE ALLOWED. >>Learn More
- Thimble Shoal Channel Tunnel:
- Motorists are to be advised of the 45 mph speed reduction throughout Thimble Shoal Channel Tunnel, as work is performed in the Southbound Open Approach areas of the tunnel. >>Learn More
- Northbound Travelers:
- Motorists are to be advised of single lane closures along portions of the northbound roadway, beginning near Virginia Beach and occurring across the facility to Fisherman Island, as CNC-LUS Cabinetry is relocated and new lighting is installed. >>Learn More
Stay in the know!
- Download the 511 smartphone app or 511-integrated WAZE app.
- Visit the 511 Virginia website or dial 511 for traffic information on your phone.
- Follow the CBBT on Twitter @FollowTheGulls.