The Parallel Thimble Shoal Tunnel Project will construct a new two-lane tunnel under Thimble Shoal Channel. When complete, the new tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic southbound and the existing tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic northbound.
- Tunnel Length: approximately one mile
- Inner Diameter (prior to roadway and support structure
- installation): 39 feet
- Outer Diameter: 42 feet
- Construction Cost: $755,987,318
- Construction Method: Bored tunnel
Construction Start (estimate): October 1, 2017
Construction Completion (estimate): October 1, 2022
Maximum Tunnel Depth (Crown – at its deepest location (mid-channel)): 105 feet below the water surface
Maximum Tunnel Depth (Invert – from the top of the roadway at its deepest location): 134 feet below the surface
- Soil Removal: The approximate amount of soil to be removed by the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) is 500,000 cubic yards.
- Concrete Sections: The tunnel will consist of approximately 9,000 individual concrete pieces. Approximately 42,000 cubic yards of concrete will be needed to make the tunnel sections.
Design-Build Team: Chesapeake Tunnel Joint Venture: Dragados USA and Schiavone Construction Company, LLC
To learn more about tunnel boring machines and to view a demonstrative video, click here.
The Parallel Thimble Shoal Tunnel Project will be funded through a variety of means, including 1) the sale of revenue bonds, 2) TIFIA loan, 3) VTIB loan, and 4) monies from the District’s General Fund.