On March 11, 2014, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel Commission awarded a supplemental agreement to Jacobs to advance the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) document through the approval process. The Commission determined that obtaining the necessary NEPA approvals for the Thimble Shoal Parallel Tunnel Project was an element that required a long lead time and was critical in the overall development of the project’s procurement process. The contract award was in the amount of $1,606,300.
The scope of work for this agreement included the completion of an Environmental Assessment (EA) to support construction of a parallel tunnel at the Thimble Shoal Channel.
All of the studies included in the scope of work were conducted in accordance with the following procedures and guidelines:
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, as amended;
- Council on Environmental Quality’s (CEQ) Regulations for Implementing NEPA (40 CFR 1500-1508);
- Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Environmental Impact and Related Procedures (23 CFR 771);
- FHWA’s Guidance for Preparing and Processing Environmental and Section 4(f) Documents (Technical Advisory T 6640.8A);
- Other appropriate laws, regulations and guidelines.
To view the final Environmental Assessment and the Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI), click here.