WHAT IS E-Z PASS?
E-ZPass is an electronic toll collection system that automatically deducts tolls from a prepaid account. It’s the easiest way to use toll roads in Virginia and 14 other states.
HOW DOES E-Z PASS WORK?
Customers may open a prepaid account using electronic debit of their checking account or credit card. A small electronic transponder is then attached to the inside windshield of the vehicle or to the license plate. Tolls are automatically deducted from the prepaid account when the customer passes through a toll facility that accepts E-Z Pass.
For more information on E-ZPass usage on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, please click here.
HOW DOES THE CBBT 30/30 DISCOUNT TOLL RATE WORK?
This $6 one-way toll rate is available to users who make 30 (or more) one-way trips across the CBBT within a 30-day period and utilize the same E-ZPass transponder to pay the toll for all 30 or more trips.
For more information on how this works, please click here.
HOW CAN I OPEN AN E-Z PASS ACCOUNT?
If you are a Virginia resident, you can open a personal or commercial E-ZPass account in one of several ways:
- – CBBT Office Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m
- – Apply on-line at EZPassva.com
- – Call the E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-877-762-7824.
- – Visit an E-ZPass Service Center or DMV Partner location (visit www.EZPassva.com for locations near you)
- – Pick up a transponder at an E-ZPass On-The-Go retailer and register online or by phone.
- – For retail locations throughout Virginia, including the Eastern Shore, please click here.
- – Visit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel’s Administration Building (32386 Lankford Highway, Cape Charles, VA) where E-ZPass personnel are available to assist you with the purchase and registration of a VIRGINIA transponder.
If you are an out-of-state resident, please click here for E-ZPass contact information in your state.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO OPEN AN E-ZPASS ACCOUNT?
In Virginia, a minimum pre-payment of $35 in tolls is required. A customer service representative will assist you in creating an account that will work for you based on your average monthly usage of toll roads.
As of July 1, 2014, Virginia’s E-ZPass program no longer charges a monthly maintenance fee on transponders.
WHERE IS E-ZPASS ACCEPTED?
You can use EZ Pass on all toll roads with specially marked “E-ZPass” lanes. This currently includes roadways in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Ohio, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Maine, Massachusetts, Indiana, and Illinois.
For additional information regarding E-ZPass in Virginia, please visit the main website at:
www.EZPassva.com or call 1-877-762-7824.